Events of car accidents are not uncommon these days. And what’s stumbling is that most of such accidents are caused by the young and the very old drivers. It is estimated that by the year 2025, senior drivers will represent 25 percent of the driving population. Senior drivers encounter different problems and difficulties because of their declining physical or mental capabilities. Is it possible for us to put an end to this? Actually, we can, thanks to vehicle GPS trackers!
How GPS Helps Senior Drivers
Just because accidents are prevalent amongst the elderly population, does not mean all of them are to be refrained from driving. When you have a vehicle GPS tracker integrated to your car, you can monitor them in real time. One of the common reasons that has led to impaired driving amongst the elderly is Alzheimer’s disease. By monitoring their driving activity with GPS, it becomes easy for you to pin point early symptoms, if any.
Keep note of the possible warning signs that might show up during their driving activity:
1. Getting lost easily even in familiar areas: Alongside tracking their driving activity using vehicle GPS tracker, it is sometimes better to keep calling them and tell them how to navigate. If you see that the driver finds themselves lost even in a familiar area, it might be an early sign of dementia.
2. Weakened Eyesight: For those having eye problems, eyeglasses can be the best choice. Nevertheless, this might be useless when driving at night.
3. Frequent Close Calls: How many times did you notice with your vehicle GPS tracker that your senior driver nearly missed hitting a pedestrian or a vehicle? This might indicate they are finding it hard to estimate the distances or are encountering difficulties in staying within the driving lane.
4. Other Factors: Ignoring traffic signs, braking for no reason and other related circumstances must be noted.
All of the above signs shall be easily monitored and recognized only when there’s a vehicle GPS tracker is installed in their car.
Common benefits of GPS Trackers for Senior Drivers:
- Vehicle GPS trackers enables you to monitor senior drivers’ driving behavior. Plus, the reports generated shall be used to identify early signs of cognitive impairment.
- Additional GPS features such as routes travelled, speed of travel, frequent braking or aggressive acceleration shall all be detected easily.
The technology of GPS trackers for vehicles has helped families to take good care of senior drivers. Analyzing early signs of impairments helps them to keep their elderly out of potential dangers or accidents.